|Episcopal services were inaugurated
in Tullahoma by 1867 by Harvey O. Judd, then studying for the ministry.
A frame Gothic Revival-style
building was begun in 1872 and the congregation was admitted as
St. Barnabas by the diocese of Tennessee in 1874 during the ministry
of the Rev. Lucien Holmes.
The church's growth reflected the fortunes of the city and
last quarter of the 19th century, when Tullahoma was promoted
growing business center and a health spa for those from the lowlands
seeking the benefits of cool nights and spring waters, the church
as well. It became a center for mission work, particularly under
leadership of Dr. Henry R. Howard (1882-1895). In 1897, a cornerstone
was laid for a new, larger building - a Gothic Revival-design
Chattanooga architect H.L. Hunt. The walls were constructed of
sandstone and the roof of slate. This structure is still in use
After Howard's death, St. Barnabas lost its prominence as a missionary
congregation; the clergy, who came and went, regarded their primary
purpose as holding services. Membership dropped from 67 listed in 1898
to 32 in 1902, perhaps in part because Tullahoma's health resort
business was declining with visitors preferring the higher elevations of
The Tennessee Vocational School for Girls was established nearby
1915 and during the years 1920-1944, St. Barnabas provided worship
opportunities for the girls and a number were baptized and confirmed.
big event for Tullahoma and St. Barnabas was the coming of World
and the establishment nearby of Camp Forrest, a major army training
camp. St. Barnabas responded, with diocesan help, by building
center for the soldiers. This 1941 building with renovations
additions has served as the parish house since the war. Church
attendance rose during the war and declined afterward until Arnold
Engineering Development Center was established in 1952 on the
Forrest grounds sparking a new growth period. St. Barnabas aided
establishment of St. Bede's Church in Manchester in 1962.
A Sunday School wing was added in 1974 and a new Parish Hall
in 2002 The church is noted for its beautiful stained glass windows
whose symbolism serves as an inspiration to all who worship there.