On June 9, 1843 sixteen Baptists met at the James
Fletcher Schoolhouse to organize a church. Joseph Haywood Eaton,
who came to Murfreesboro
as a midwife and nurse to Union University, was elected to serve
as pastor. Eaton would later be named as president of Union University.
The young church constructed its first house of
worship in 1848 at the corner of South Spring and Sevier Streets.
served its members well until it was confiscated by the Union
Army and converted into a Federal hospital following the Battle
of Stones River. The church
erected its second building, which was located on East Main Street
on the site now occupied by St. Paul's Episcopal Church. The
Tennessee Baptist Convention was organized in this building on
April 10, 1874. The church met at this location until 1919, when
a fire destroyed the second of two buildings on the site.
The present day sanctuary, located at 200 East Main Street,
was constructed in 1920. At the suggestion of Austin Crouch,
pastor, the new building features neo-classical architecture.
During the modern era, the church grew rapidly. Under the leadership
of Dr. Eugene Cotey, the church developed a full range of programs
for all ages. More recently, the sanctuary has been remodeled.
Dr. Michael A. Smith, our current pastor, began his ministry
amoung us on
April 1, 2002.
The organ of First Baptist Church, Murfreesboro,
was installed in 1925. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew L. Todd donated the
organ as a memorial to their son Aaron. In 2003, Barger & Nix
Organs of Chattanooga, Tennessee cleaned and rewired the pipe
organ. Claude P. Street
Piano Company of Madison, Tennessee provided a new Allen console
with digital additions. The result is an instrument with tonal
additions which blend and are in keeping with the style of the